Are you wondering about how to grow garlic indoors? Are you also thinking about making your own mini garden where you grow garlic? Then my friend you have landed on the right page.
In this, we will go through the process through which we can grow garlic indoors.
Garlic is an edible plant material consumed both raw and cooked. Garlic paste is mainly used as a flavor while making dishes like meat, dal, Pulav, Biryani, etc. There are multiple benefits of consuming garlic.
Garlic is a perennial flowering plant that grows from bulbs. The bulb contains 10-20 cloves. It is covered with a very light layered sheath inside which the cloves remain attached. The garlic itself acts as the root of the plant and its stem is its leaf which grows vertically up to 1 meter.
Read More: How to Green Onions at Home
Conditions Required to Grow Garlic Plant
• Climate- Garlic plants cannot stand too hot or too cold weather. It prefers moderate temperature in summer as well as in winter. The average temperature varies from 60°F to 80°F i.e 15°C to 25°C.
• Soil – Garlic requires well-drained loamy soils, rich in humus, with fairly good content of potash. It is native to the land of Central Asia.
• Moisture level – Newly planted garlic needs to be kept moist to helps the roots to develop. In average soils, garlic needs about 16 inches of total water during a growing season.
• Sunlight -Sunlight is necessary for the growth of garlic. That is why, it is important for the garlic to be planted in areas where it receives 6-8 hours of sunlight.
Garlic is a plant that can be grown both indoor and Outdoor in very simple ways. To grow garlic indoors, there are a few things which we should keep in mind-
Also Read: How to Grow Green Chillies at home
Things to keep in Mind While Growing Garlics
• Choosing a suitable container – It is necessary that we choose the right container that has enough volume so that goog numbers of garlic can be grown. The container usually should be 8-10 inches deep and there must be holes beneath for the water and air exchanges.
• Locating the right place– The garlic plants would need suitable geographical conditions whether we grow them inside or outside. Sunlight is very important in all conditions. So we must take care of it that the plants have to be placed where they could receive an adequate amount of sunlight naturally.
However, Placing them near windows where Sunlight directly falls would be a great choice. Otherwise, they are in portable containers you can shift them wherever you think that the upper conditions are met.
• Providing water– Whether we provide water manually or use the automatic dripping system, the water quantity should be enough as much as it needs. More or less could ruin the efforts. Generally, you should be very careful while watering your plants.
Once you know the processes, you can start the indoor gardening of garlics. Take a right container, fill it with suitable(above mentioned) soil, put the cloves under 2-3 inches soil(The falt emd should be pointing down), keep them in the presence of sunlight, water them regularly and within 10 days the garlic green will start to appear. It will take a month to grow to its mature stage. You have to keep cutting the leaves, then it will regrow.
Read Also: Unique Container Gardening Ideas
How to Grow Garlic Indoors without soil?
Another way of growing garlic indoor is in the absence of soil. Yes, it is possible for garlic to grow only in water. The process is called Hydroponic.
To grow garlic hydroponically, there are few key points we should keep in mind:-
• Duration: 40 days to grow a bulb. Approx. 6 months to split into cloves.
• Best pH Levels: 6.0 to 7.5
• Cutting or clove: Usually Cutting is used.
• Suitable season: September to November
• Temperature: 32 to 50 Degrees Fahrenheit (0 to 10 degrees Celsius)
• Varieties to Grow: Elephant Garlic
• Sunlight Required: Plenty of Sunlight.
We can grow garlic using a clove. Put the clove in water first until it starts growing small roots, and then transplant to your hydroponic setup.
Steps to Grow Garlic Hydroponically Indoors-
• Choose the right hydroponic setup
Not all hydroponic setups are suitable for growing garlics. It is recommended to use the NFT system (Nutrient Film Technique) for the growth of garlic. This system allows the water to drain through better, as the tray that the water flows through is set up at a downward angle.
If the system is set up correctly, the roots should only lightly touch the water. As a result this prevents the roots from becoming oversaturated and rotten.
• Choose a suitable place
It is recommended to grow garlic in a spacious spot of the house which is kept empty usually. Garlic produces a smell while it grows so it is better to keep separate from the rest of the house. It may irritate some people.
• Choose growing medium
A suitable medium would be needed for the growth of garlics. For that you can use clay pebbles, pertile, or coconut fiber.
• Exposing to the right amount of light
Sunlight is very important in the growth of garlic. On the other hand, it also needs a period of darkness for correct growth. Getting the balance right between light and darkness is super important for a slow-growing plant like garlic.
This effect is called photoperiodism. But as you would be growing it indoor so it would be difficulty for giving balanced exposure to light and darkness. So you can go for artificially made LED Grow Lights for Growing Hydroponic Garlic. They are easily available in online market
• Germination of clove-
To germinate a clove, you can put the clove into a glass or bowl of water. Once the roots grow to 1 cm long, it becomes ready to be replanted in the hydroponic setup.
You need to push the cloves 3-4 inches deep into the growing medium making sure that the below end touches the water(nutrient solution). Putting the flat end below the pointed end should be kept facing upward.
It is important to maintain the right nutrients composition in the water. Fertilizers are as important in soil as in water. The only difference is that it draws nutrients from water solutions.
Also, keep in mind that the nutrient solution is able to extract the key nutrients that your garlic would normally receive from the soil. This includes making sure it is getting enough nitrogen at the beginning of its growing process.
Phosphorus is also critical for root development and potassium for growing healthy leaves and bulbs. Sulphur is a key nutrient for the later growth stages, as it promotes the development of Allium, one of the active compounds in garlic.
Once the whole growing-up process is done successfully, all it remains is to wait until you finally get to harvest it.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How to grow garlic without soil?
By Hydroponic process, Garlic can be easily grown without soil.
Can you grow garlic indoor year-round?
The suitable time to grow garlic is when the climate is cooler i.e during September to November. Otherwise it is possible to grow indoor providing suitable environment manually.
Can I grow garlic in a pot?
Yes, Garlic can be grown in a pot.
Can I grow garlic from store brought?
Yes, Of course, but you must check the quality of the garlic and make sure it is not rotten.
Thanks For Reading. Please Share this Article if it helped you.